Tess Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Tess:
Originally a pet form of Theresa (harvester), Tess is now commonly bestowed as an independent given name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Tess? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Tess
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands 2014
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
Contribute your knowledge to the name Tess
- Comments and insights on the name Tess
- Personal experiences with the name Tess
- Nicknames for Tess
Tessie, Tessa, Tessiebear
- Meanings and history of the name Tess
Diminutive of Teresa, meaning "harvester", from Greek. It is now being used on its own.
- Famous real-life people named Tess
Tess Harper, American actress
Tess Gallagher, American poet and author
Tess Daly (born Helen Elizabeth Daly), English television personality
Tess Gerritsen, Chinese-American author and physician
Tess Gardella (born Therese Gardella), Italian-American actress who performed African-American roles. She created the role of Queenie in the musical "Showboat", and that of Aunt Jemima on television commercials.
Tess Slesinger, Jewish-American writer and screenwriter
Tess Uriza Holthe, Filipino-American writer
- Tess in song, story & screen
Tess, alien on WB drama "Roswell"
"Tess of the d'Urbervilles," a novel by Thomas Hardy first published in 1891.
Tess McGill, heroine of the movie "Working Girl" (1987), played by Melanie Griffith
Tess Carlisle, heroine of "Guarding Tess", 1994 movie starring Shirley MacLaine
Tess Trueheart, love interest of Dick Tracy
Tess Ocean, Danny Ocean's ex-wife in Ocean's Eleven
Tess- Janes sister (played by catherine hegle) in 27 dresses
Tess Silverman McLeod, in the Australian TV drama McLeod's Daughters