Shari Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Shari:
Taken from the name of the fortified Spanish wine, which takes its name from the city of Jerez (formerly Xeres). Alternatively, Sherry can be a reworking of the French chérie (darling).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Shari? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Shari
Contribute your knowledge to the name Shari
- Comments and insights on the name Shari
- Personal experiences with the name Shari
- Nicknames for Shari
Rhi. Shar. Share-bear
- Meanings and history of the name Shari
There are two main meaning of the name Shari:
1. Shari, in Hebrew, is spelled with the same root used to spell "Shir" which means song. The "ee" sound at the end means God. Shari, in that sense, means "Song of God" or "God's Song"
2. Shari, in the language of the Anglo-Saxons means "princess" or "darling".
- Famous real-life people named Shari
Shari Lewis (puppeteer, children's entertainer)
Shari Belafonte (actress, daughter of Harry Belafonte)
- Shari in song, story & screen