Nyree Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Nyree? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Nyree
Contribute your knowledge to the name Nyree
- Comments and insights on the name Nyree
- Personal experiences with the name Nyree
- Nicknames for Nyree
* Little Ree
* Swampy (A jokey nickname due to name's meaning)
* Ny-Py/Ny-Pie (nickname had off some kids when growing up)
My mum used to go mad when my friends shortened my name!
Most often, this name tends not to be shortened.
- Meanings and history of the name Nyree
Meanings for the name Nyree -
* silver fern
* little flower
* little heart-shaped flower
* little white flower
* little flower of the swamp
* little white flower that grows in a bog
The idea with the last two meanings listed is saying that even somewhere awful, something really pretty can grow.
History of the name Nyree -
Nyree is the Anglicised form of the name Ngaire, which is a Maori, New Zealand name.
The name is originally a unisex name but is very rarely used as a boys name.
The name 'Ngaire' is very popular in New Zealand, but not in other parts of the world.
The name 'Nyree' is very rare all over the world.
'Ngaire' is pronounced differently to 'Nyree'.
Following Maori phonetics, Ngaire is pronounced - Ng (as in sing) and the 're' is pronounced more like 'reh' and the 'r' is rolled.
Nyree is pronounced - Ny (rhyming with sky) and ree (as in the word 'really')
Nyree was also a Hebrew/biblical name and is a variant form of the name Anna.
Some Hawaiians think that the name Nyree originated in Hawaii
- Famous real-life people named Nyree
Nyree Dawn Porter, New Zealand-born actress who achieved fame in England in the 1950s and 60s.
- Nyree in song, story & screen
- 'Ngaire' is a song by 'The Mutton Birds', from their 1993 album entitled 'Salty'