Melina Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Melina:
Feminine form of the Greek melinos (quince-yellow), which is from mēlon (quince, apple).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Melina? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Melina
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany 2014
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German)
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German), 2010
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Melina
- Comments and insights on the name Melina
- Personal experiences with the name Melina
- Nicknames for Melina
Mel, Lina, Mela, Meli (pronounced MEH-lee), Mina, Nina, Nana, Mimi
- Meanings and history of the name Melina
The name Melina can be found in Greece, Cyprus, Iran and southern Italy. Melina is originally a female given name in Greece and Iran, while in Italy is always a nickname. in Greece, Melina can be a nickname as well, usually short form of Magdalene, Melpomene, Simela and less often Amalia. The greek name Melina derives from the noun meli (gr. μέλι), which means honey. In other words, Melina is "the one who is sweet as honey" or "made of honey" - melenia (gr. μελένια), which can also be found in Greece as a female first given name. Others suggest Melina derives from melon (gr. μήλο), meaning "the one who shines like golden-yellow apples".
- Famous real-life people named Melina
Melina Mercouri, Greek actress and politician
Melina Kanakaredes, American actress
Melina Perez, wrestler
Melina Marchetta, Author
- Melina in song, story & screen
"Melina" sung by Camilo Sesto in the 70s.