Eulalia Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Eulalia? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Eulalia
Contribute your knowledge to the name Eulalia
- Comments and insights on the name Eulalia
- Personal experiences with the name Eulalia
- Nicknames for Eulalia
Eula, Eulala, Eulalee, Eulalya, Eulaylie, Eulia, Euli, Euly, Lallie, Lally, LaLa, Layla, Leila, Ulalia
Eulalia's International Variations:
Forms of the name include the English and French Eulalie, the Polish Eulalja, the Catalan Eulàlia, the Portuguese Eulália, the Russian Evlaliya, and the Spanish Olalla. The short forms Eula (English), Eulia (English, Italian, and Spanish), and Lalia (English, Italian, and Spanish), and the pet forms Eulah (English), Laia (Catalan), and Ula (Spanish) are other variants of Eulalia. See also the related form, the English and German Euphemia.
- Meanings and history of the name Eulalia
A borrowing from the Greek, Eulalia is composed from the elements eu (well, good, fair) and lalein (to talk), hence "well-spoken". The name was borne by a twelve-year-old Spanish martyr (d. 304?) who burned to death because she refused to renounce her faith. Saint Eulalia was martyred by the Romans. She is now a patron saint of Barcelona.
- Famous real-life people named Eulalia
Melodious name with a southern lilt, used by Marcia Gay Harden for her daughter, Eulala Grace Scheel
- Eulalia in song, story & screen
* Saint Eulalia, several people, and places named after them
* 495 Eulalia, an asteroid
* Eulalia (genus), a genus within the subtribe of the Andropogonodae tribe of the Panicoideae grasses
* Eulalia grass, the common name for the cultivated Miscanthus sinensis
* Eulalia Township, Potter County, Pennsylvania
* Eulalia!, name of the 19th novel in the Redwall series by Brian Jacques
* Eulalia Bon, a character in Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
* A principal character in The Amours of Sainfroid and Eulalia
* A character played by Mary Walsh in the "Miss Enid & Eulalia" sketches of This Hour Has 22 Minutes
* Song "Eulalia" by In:Aviate
"Eulalia!" is the war-cry of the Salamandastron fighters in the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, which includes a novel of that name.