Edelweiss Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Edelweiss? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Edelweiss
Contribute your knowledge to the name Edelweiss
- Comments and insights on the name Edelweiss
- Personal experiences with the name Edelweiss
- Nicknames for Edelweiss
- Meanings and history of the name Edelweiss
Edelweiss is a German flower found in the Alps, and can be translated as "pure flower", "snowdrop flower" or just "white flower". Back in the olden days, suitors would climb the Alps and bring edelweiss back as a gift to their beloved.
- Famous real-life people named Edelweiss
- Edelweiss in song, story & screen
Edelweiss" is a show tune from the 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music. It is named after the edelweiss, a white flower found high in the Alps (Leontopodium alpinum).