Clare Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Clare:
A cognate of Clara, which is derived from the Latin clārus (bright, clear, famous). Var: Clair, Clara. Dim: Clairette. (clare)
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Clare? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Clare
Contribute your knowledge to the name Clare
- Comments and insights on the name Clare
- Personal experiences with the name Clare
- Nicknames for Clare
- Clarey or Clarie
- Clare Bear
- Meanings and history of the name Clare
Clare derives from the Latin word clarus, which means "clear, bright, shining, brilliant to the sight." Clarus comes from clareo, which indicates "I am bright, I shine" and, figuratively, "I am renowned," and its other offshoot claresco ("I become illustrious").
In an anime named Claymore Clare is one of the Twins Goddesses of Love which are honored and celebrated.
- Famous real-life people named Clare
- St. Clare was one of the first followers (and a dear friend) of Saint Francis of Assisi. She founded the Order of Poor Ladies, a monastic religious order for women in the Franciscan tradition. Following her death, the order she founded was renamed in her honor as the Order of Saint Clare, commonly referred to today as the Poor Clares. Patron of clairvoyance and eye disease.
- Lady Elizabeth Clare: Sister of the Earl of Clare. She founded Clare Hall at Cambridge in 1326.
- Clare Higgins: Actress
- Clare Coulter: Actress
- Clare Boylan: Writer
- Clare in song, story & screen
Clare Abshire, a main character in Audrey Niffenegger's novel "The Time Traveler's Wife".
Clare Edwards, a character on the Canadian television show Degrassi
Clare is the main character in an anime named Claymore.