Aida Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Aida:
Derived from the Old French aide (helper, aide, assistant).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Aida? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Aida
Contribute your knowledge to the name Aida
- Comments and insights on the name Aida
- Personal experiences with the name Aida
- Nicknames for Aida
Aidz (pronounced IYDZ)
- Meanings and history of the name Aida
The name of operatic heroine Aida is believed to be taken from the Arabic name Ayda ("visiting, returning")
Variant of AYDA. This name was used in Verdi's opera 'Aida' (1871), where it belongs to an Ethiopian princess held captive in Egypt.
- Famous real-life people named Aida
- Aida in song, story & screen
Aida, an opera composed by Giuseppe Verdi