Yona Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Jonah:
Derived from the Hebrew yōnāh (dove). The name was borne by a Hebrew prophet famous for being thrown overboard in a storm and being swallowed by a great fish for disobeying God. He was deposited unharmed upon the shore three days later. His personal history is recounted in the Old Testament book of Jonah.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Yona? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Yona
Contribute your knowledge to the name Yona
- Comments and insights on the name Yona
- Personal experiences with the name Yona
- Nicknames for Yona
- Meanings and history of the name Yona
Derived from Jonah meaning "dove", re-written to reflect how it is pronounced in Hebrew.
- Famous real-life people named Yona
- Yona in song, story & screen