Winter Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Winter? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Winter
Contribute your knowledge to the name Winter
- Comments and insights on the name Winter
- Personal experiences with the name Winter
- Nicknames for Winter
- Meanings and history of the name Winter
Originally a surname then seen as a boys middle name, but was not seen often until the 1700's and on into the 1800's as a unisex name albeit it did drop off in use by both genders . It hit peak popularity in 1952, 1954 and 1979.
Tuetonic meaning: bringing of renewal/Rebirth of Spring.
Native American meaning: bringing of renewal.
American meaning: seasonal change, seasonal renewal
Pagan Religion: Rebirth of Spring
In was customary belief in German and Nords-man that only two seasons existed: Summer and winter. Winter began in August and went until June 1st, November being the blood sacrifice month and winter preparations.
In Greek mythology, the four seasons ( Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter), were created to divide Percephone's time between her love on Earth and Hades. Percephonie's name has many meanings, one of which includes the rebirth from death, and shows her connection to the under world and the depiction of the Winter season.
Songs: mentioned in: You've Got a Friend by Carole King
- Famous real-life people named Winter
- Winter in song, story & screen
- Song: Dear Winter by AJR
- Winter is one of the main characters in the Leven Thumps Genre
- Jon Snow is a major character in the first, second, third, and fourth seasons. He is played by starring cast member Kit Harington, and debuts in the series premiere. (For those interested in Choosing Snow as a nickname)