Vincent Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Vincent:
French form of the Late Latin Vincentius (conquering), which is derived from vincere (to conquer). Var: Vince.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Vincent? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Vincent
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden 2014
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand 2014
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) 2014
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany 2014
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden for 2012
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) for 2012
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Vincent
- Comments and insights on the name Vincent
- Personal experiences with the name Vincent
- Nicknames for Vincent
Vince, Vinnie, Vin, Vint, Vinny
- Meanings and history of the name Vincent
Vincent s derived from the Latin name Vincentius meaning "conquering" (from Latin "vincere" - "to conquer").
The French brought the name to the English and the Irish. The Gaelic forms of Vincent are “Uinseann” and “Uinsionn.”
This name was popular among early Christians, and it was borne by many saints. As an English name, Vincent has been in use since the Middle Ages, though it did not become common until the 19th century.
- Famous real-life people named Vincent
* Vince Gill (Singer-Songwriter)
• Edna St. Vincent Millay (American lyrical poet)
• Vin Diesel (American actor)
• Vince Vaughn (American actor)
• Vincent D'Onofrio (American actor)
• Vincent du Vigneaud (Nobel Prize Winner for Chemistry in 1955)
• Vincent Gallo (American actor, director, and musician)
• Vincent "Vince" Gill (American country-western musician)
• Vincent Kartheiser (American actor-Mad Men)
• Vincent Persichetti (American composer)
• Vincent Van Gogh (Famous artist)
• Vincent Van Gogh (Dutch impressionist painter)
• Vincent Zhao (Chinese martial artist and actor)
• Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander (Danish Prince)
* Vincent "Vinz" Dery (singer)
• Vincent Cassel (French actor)
Vincent Sinclair (b. 2010) - son of actor Vin Diesel
- Vincent in song, story & screen
• St. Vincent (multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter, Annie Clark)
• "Vincent" (animated short, Tim Burton)
• 'Vincent' (novel, Joey Goebel)
• Vincent Chase ('Entourage' TV show, 2004-present)
• Vincent Richardson ('Collateral' movie, 2004)
• Vincent the dog ('Lost' TV show, 2004-2010)
• "Vincent Van Gogh (He Loved Color and He Let It Show)" (song, Jonathan Richman)
• "Vincent (Starry Starry Night)" (song, Don McLean)
• V.I.N.CENT ('The Black Hole' movie, 1979)
• Vincent Mancini was the illegitimate son of Santino "Sonny" Corleone in the book "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo. The character was played by Andy Garcia in 1990's "The Godfather Part III."
.Vincent Crabbe, Slytherin student in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
•Vincent Valentine, Final Fantasy character.
Vincent, the black bear antagonist of the animated DreamWorks film, Over the Hedge
Vincent Pierre "Vince" LaSalle, a main character from the Disney animated series,
Vincent leteipa "chente" programmer hobbist a main character in hack your destiny