Tristan Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Tristan:
From the Old French Tristran, which is from the Gaelic Drystan, a name derived from drest (tumult, riot). The name was borne in medieval legend by a knight who was sent to Israel by King Mark of Cornwall to bring Isolde back to be the king's bride. On the return trip, Tristan and Isolde accidentally drank a love potion intended for the king and fell in love. Tristan left to fight for King Howel of Brittany and, seriously wounded in battle, sent for Isolde. She arrived too late and died from grief next to Tristan's deathbed. The tale was the subject of many popular tragedies during the Middle Ages.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Tristan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Tristan
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) 2014
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark, 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark for 2012.
- Icelandic Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Iceland 2014
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Tristan
- Comments and insights on the name Tristan
- Personal experiences with the name Tristan
- Nicknames for Tristan
Tris, Trist, Trista, Tristi, Trissy, Tay, Ty, Triscuit,
- Meanings and history of the name Tristan
It is of Celtic origin. Meaning: Tumult; outcry. From a Celtic name in Arthurian legend, Tristan (sometimes called Tristram) was a Knight of the Round Table and the tragic hero of the medieval tale "Tristan and Isolde". The tale has been retold in many poems and operas. This ancient name may derive from a Pictish original, Drostan, but the form was probably influenced by the French term "triste", meaning "sad". The name is popular in Spain.
- Famous real-life people named Tristan
Tristan Tzara, Dadaist poet
Salvador Dali's work on the ballet "Tristan Fou"
Tristan Evans, drummer of the english band The Vamps
Tristan Ayley, son of Marianas Trench member Mike Ayley
Tristan Milos Trump (b. 2011), son of American businessman and former reality television personality Donald Trump, Jr.
Tristan Thompson - NBA Player
Tristan Harris - Tech ethicist
Tristan Rogers - Australian soap opera actor who played Robert Scorpio on "Days of Our Lives"
- Tristan in song, story & screen
Little tristan from some BBC show the freaky little kid
-Tristan Dugray in "Gilmore Girls" (portrayed by Chad Michael Murray)
-Tristan and Isolde - the opera by Wagner is the best known adaptation/dramatization of the legend
-Tristan Ludlow in "Legends of the Fall" (portrayed by Brad Pitt in the film). The name had a brief blip of trendiness after this movie. It is based on a novella by Jim Harrison. The name Tristan was chosen by the author for its symbolism- meaning tumult or sad. In the movie, tragedies happen to everyone he is close to: "Tristan is the rock against others are broken".
-Main character in the movie "Stardust" (portrayed by Charlie Cox). Based on the Neil Gaiman book, where the character is called "Tristram."
-Tristan Farnon is the likeable younger brother of Siegfried in James Herriot's "All Creatures Great and Small" and other books.
-Tristan in the movie "King Arthur"(portrayed by Mads Mikkelsen)
-Tristan was a Knight of the Round table of legend- he was said to be Lancelot's best friend, they were the best in battle and neither could defeat the other at fencing, plus they bonded over their forbidden lovers.
-Tristan the weird little kid from George & Mildred
-Tristan Milligan, a character on the TV show Degrassi