Samson Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Samson:
Derived from the Hebrew shimshōn (the sun). Samson was an Israelite judge whose great strength stemmed from his long hair, which as a Nazarite he was forbidden to cut. He was treacherously betrayed to the Philistines by his mistress, Delilah. Var: Sampson.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Samson? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Samson
Contribute your knowledge to the name Samson
- Comments and insights on the name Samson
- Personal experiences with the name Samson
- Nicknames for Samson
- Meanings and history of the name Samson
Suburb in Western Australia.
- Famous real-life people named Samson
- Samson in song, story & screen
Samson, a character from the Bible (book of Judges)
"Samson," song by Regina Spektor