Ronan Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ronan:
Very old Irish name derived from the diminutive form of rón (a seal): hence, "little seal ." The name was borne by twelve saints as well as by an ancient king of Leinster who was deceived into killing his first-born son.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Ronan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ronan
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ronan
- Comments and insights on the name Ronan
- Personal experiences with the name Ronan
- Nicknames for Ronan
Roe, Rone, Ronnie, Roni, Rice-a-roni, Ro Ro
- Meanings and history of the name Ronan
Rónán is an Irish language male given name meaning "little seal" (Rón meaning "seal", and -án being a diminutive suffix)
- Famous real-life people named Ronan
Ronan Keating, singer
Ronan Tynan, singer
Ronan Bennett, author
Ronan, 6th Century Irish Saint and founder of Locronan
Ronan Farrow, diplomat and journalist
Ronan Harris, singer
Ronan O'Gara, Irish Rugby player
Ronan Beason (b. 2010), son of American actress Catherine Bell
- Ronan in song, story & screen
"Ronan" is a heroic centaur in the Harry Potter books.
Ronan (spelled Ronon) Dex, a character in the 'Stargate: Atlantis' sci-fi television series.
Ronan Thompson, an almost 4-year-old boy that died of cancer. Taylor Swift wrote a song titled "Ronan" for him.
Ronan Lynch from The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater
Ronan the Accuser, the villain of the film Guardians of the Galaxy.