Randolph Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Randolph:
Derived from the Old Norse Randulfr, a name introduced by the Scandinavians, which is composed from the elements rand, rönd (the edge or rim of a shield) and ulfr (wolf): hence, "shield wolf." The use of the name was further reinforced by the Norman introduction of the Germanic cognate Randolph after the Conquest.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Randolph? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Randolph
Contribute your knowledge to the name Randolph
- Comments and insights on the name Randolph
- Personal experiences with the name Randolph
- Nicknames for Randolph
Randy, Dolph, Rand, Bo, Micah, Rhonda
- Meanings and history of the name Randolph
- Famous real-life people named Randolph
Actor Randolph Scott
- Randolph in song, story & screen