Joan Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name John:
Derived from the Middle Latin Johannes, which is from the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Joannes, which is from the Greek Iōannes. Iōannes is from the Hebrew Yehanan, a short form of Yehohanan which is derived from yehōhānān (Yahweh is gracious). John is the most enduring of the biblical names and remains one of the most popular names bestowed in the United States. Var: Jon. Pet: Johnnie, Johnny, Jonnie, Jonny.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Joan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Joan
Contribute your knowledge to the name Joan
- Comments and insights on the name Joan
- Personal experiences with the name Joan
- Nicknames for Joan
- Meanings and history of the name Joan
- Famous real-life people named Joan
Joan Sebastian, Mexican singer
- Joan in song, story & screen