Jeremias Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Jeremiah:
From the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Jeremias, a cognate of the Hebrew Yirmeyahu, a name derived from yirmeyāh (the Lord loosens, God will uplift). The name is borne in the Bible by a 6th- or 7th-century B.C. Hebrew prophet whose story and prophecies are recorded in the Old Testament book of Jeremiah.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jeremias? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jeremias
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jeremias
- Comments and insights on the name Jeremias
- Personal experiences with the name Jeremias
- Nicknames for Jeremias
- Meanings and history of the name Jeremias
- Famous real-life people named Jeremias
- Jeremias in song, story & screen