Coleman Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Coleman:
Transferred use of the English surname derived from the Old English elements col (coal) and mann (man), which originated as an occupational name for a charcoal burner or someone who dealt with coal. Var: Koleman. Short: Cole, Kole.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Coleman? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Coleman
Contribute your knowledge to the name Coleman
- Comments and insights on the name Coleman
- Personal experiences with the name Coleman
- Nicknames for Coleman
- Meanings and history of the name Coleman
It can mean blacksmith or servant of Nicholas, as cole is a derivative/ nickname for Nicholas.
- Famous real-life people named Coleman
Coleman Hawkins, an American jazz saxophonist
- Coleman in song, story & screen